Tuesday, April 05, 2005

My Green ATM Card

A group of us were leaving my house to go to the fish and chip shop on Good Friday - that's as close to observing the religious reasoning for a Day OFF Work that we came - when my friend said 'Hey Mel, don't forget your ATM card'.
I spun gratefully on my heel and went back for it and noticed R was waving my Medicare card at me with a cheeky smirk on her face.
oh ha ha bi-atch' was my response. Of course, then K&K had to know why it was funny. The fact that I had embarrassed myself publicly was a given. Only the specifics were required. So, to save R time.. Once again for the cheap seats in the back......
R and I had gone grocery shopping a few nights before. I decided to be smart and not take my purse. Just my cards. Travel light, shop fast.
I got to the front of the expresslane - pushing the boundaries of the '12 item' rule (doesn't 3 of one item really only count as one item?) - when I realised I had forgotten to remember the milk. Not good. I wanted my milk to mix with my alcohol dammit. Mmmm Kahluha.
R went back to grab it while I dragged out the scanning of my purchases so the line could not progress. I know, I hate me too.
I was down to my last item so I handed the cashier my card while craning my neck - hoping to see R come sprinting out of an aisle with the Rev.
There was a moment of silence. I turned around to see the cashier looking in confusion at my card, then in mild frustration/mirth at me. I think you gave me the wrong card. Shit! My Medicare card. Shit! No purse. Shit! Queue of increasingly antsy people behind me.
Just as I was about to dive into the cracks in the floor to hide my embarrassment, R materialised with the Rev and a credit card. Bless her Richmond Supporting Soul.
She paid, we left, I glowed all the way to the car.
So there you go. Clap Clap for the handicap. Now I check my cards like 5 times before I enter the shop so it cant happen again. Well, not for a while anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home