Wednesday, March 02, 2005

The Outsider

Lonely. I get along fine with the people at work, I guess. I still feel like a scotty though. They are a pretty tight bunch and it gets uncomfortable when they are all talking about stuff I don't know about or stuff they are doing together.
I hate being the newbie. I am not the confidant type [at least not on the inside] who will elbow my way in and angle for invitations. I am not even sure I would want to see some of them socially anyway.
I guess it's more that Limbo status that unsettled me. Coming from a job where I knew people and had close friends, it is hard to start all over again. Especially as a boss.
And then the people from my previous work move on too. So it's kinda lose/lose. I am sure I will settle in and get to know people soon but being me, I assume they don't like me much.
There are plenty of people there who are great to chat too, have good senses of humour and seem like genuinely nice people who would be fun outside of work too. I hate feeling like, just by hoping they like me that I am asking too much or forcing myself on them.
I always feel.. Separated.. from people and too shy/low self esteemed to try and fit in. I worry they think I am snobby or if I am too nice that I am fake.
I know people will say 'just be yourself' but it hasn't done me huge favours so far so I am reluctant. I want people to LIKE me, not run in the opposite direction.
So for now I float around, relishing the friendly faces and fun chats then receding back to an unobtrusive corner, trying not to do anything to fuck things up....

2 Comments:

At 6:41 pm, Blogger Cathy said...

I'm going through the exact same thing at work, but I'm not the boss, just one of the plebs. Initially I thought it was a NSW/Victorian thing (I've just moved states). Then I thought it was people being judgmental about my love-life (my partner is a lot younger than me), but I'm starting to feel its just a loss of familiarity. It's hard to go from being the social lynch-pin at a workplace ( a role I loved and relished)to somehow coming across as shy and geeky, clumsy and fumbling for words. We'll just both have to wait and see! Good luck! Wanna come and work with me?

 
At 11:12 pm, Blogger Mel said...

Must be tough moving states. Everything would be new. I guess people take a while to accept new additions to their social circle. I tell myself I don't care - that I have enough friends outside of work, but feeling accepted and cared for at work is much better than feeling 'seperate'.
Thanks for leaving a comment. Hope all works out for you too. Welcome to Melbourne - we are a pretty friendly bunch mostly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home