Sunday, March 06, 2005

Do the locomotion - but not in your car

Nothing like a good dose of public humiliation to start the day. I was driving up the South Eastern, new Kylie CD blasting in the car accompanied by enthusiastic singing and probably a little too much sit-down dancing [lots of wiggling, head shaking and arm movements].
I was in my own little world. Weaving in and out of traffic while getting down to the tunes and having a good ole sing. Well, I THOUGHT I was in my own little world anyway. Obviously I was not. Obviously I was driving down a busy freeway, attracting the attention of other drivers but completely oblivious to their double takes and giggling.
That is, until a car pulled up level with me and I caught the eye of a front seat passenger. She just looked at me and looked away but it was enough to snap me out of my daze. Enough to make me aware of the guy in the back seat of the car, who as he became level with me, launched into his own dancing with lots of woggy arm movements to the accompaniment of hearty laughter.
I had the good grace to laugh myself before shrinking down in my seat and resisting the temptation to veer into the emergency lane and take off across the grass.
Every time I snuck a peek in his direction he would be at it. And I would go a little redder. Man was I glad when my freeway exit came up. I could blend in with traffic, people who hadn't seen my disco driving.
The drive home was much more subdued. I tried to keep it to lip-synching and steering wheel tapping. Not as much fun. Potential for embarrassment significantly lower though.
I'd be less disturbed if this were the first occasion. Tragically every now and then I get busted diva-driving to work on the Nepean Hwy. That's worse. These are people that could come in my shop later.
Maybe the guy today thought it was cute. Maybe I came across as fun and carefree rather than daggy and a little psycho. I should be so lucky....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home