Sunday, August 21, 2005

Smite Me, Oh Mighty Smiter!

Two incidents stand out over the stress of the past week as evidence of 'The Smiting of Mel'.

Firstly there is the fact that a policeman thinks I am the victim of domestic violence. This is thanks to one of my cats... Cleo. After a particularly violent battle to confine her majesty in her travel box to move her to my new place I was bleeding from two enormous gashes on my forearm. The next day they were looking nasty and weren't covered by the sleeve of my work shirt.

While boxing the diamond studs a customer purchased, he gestured to my scratches and asked how I got them. I told him briefly, embarrassed that they were that obvious. His reply was 'so it wasn't your boyfriend then?'. I blushed and of course said no. One of my staff jumped in and was joking around saying it was, that I come in with bruises etc all very lighthearted. As the guy was about to leave, he passed me a business card, face down across the desk and said to call him 'if I ever need him'. I turned it over after he left to discover he was a policeman. My staff loved it. The rest of the day they told everyone 'my boss has been attacked and the police are involved'. Also teasing me that I had an admirer.

Just when I thought my day wasn't going to get any more humiliating, the Second Smiting occurred. I put it down to Karma. I have been making fun one of the boys at work for having a car accident while talking on his phone. I think I even used the exact words 'If you are going to talk on your phone while driving, at least be good at it'. Monday night as I was backing out of my car space, talking on the phone when I heard the most awful scraping sound. To cut a very long and embarrassing story short I managed to rip my front bumper right off on the pole I had parked next to. I am now driving around with it in the back of my car. Not good.

Between moving house, juggling my pets and my mum's dog, breaking up juvenile arguments at work, crashing my car, being humiliated in front of my staff and avoiding 'The Man' it has been a draining week. I am tired, embarrassed, frustrated and broke! So far am much happier in the new place then I thought I would be! Now I just need to sell the other house and get straight
and I will have some money, hopefully a holiday and some fun!

Hopefully I am not part of God's entertainment this week. I think it is time to cultivate a 'low profile'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home